Propane is a rapidly-growing energy source that is used in your home or business. We are proud to offer fuel for your heating systems, cooking, tankless hot water heaters, and as fuel for forklifts, farm irrigation engines, fleet vehicles, and buses. Advancing technology continues to grow this fuel's utilization. The team at Annapolis Propane & Fuels wants to help you learn more about the advantages of choosing propane with these interesting facts and myths debunked.
Interesting Facts about Propane
- Propane is clean. The 1990 Clean Air Act lists propane as an approved clean fuel. Using propane over other fuels reduces greenhouse gas, carbon dioxide, and air pollutants such as carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide.
- Propane is safe for the environment. Propane does not spill, pool, or leave a residue making it harmless to soil or water if there is a leak.
- Propane is affordable. Compared with other energy sources, the price of propane is generally lower. The Propane's average price continues to be customer-friendly because of its continued growth. Our Energy Consultants can answer any questions you have about pricing.
- Propane is mostly domestically-supplied. Nearly 90% of the U.S. propane supply is produced in country. And nearly three-quarters of the remaining 10 percent are produced in Canada or Mexico. Wonder how it's made? It is taken mostly from domestic natural gas processing, and then compressed and stored as a non-toxic, colorless, and mostly odorless liquid (odor is added for detection).
- Propane is efficient. Running your heating system efficiently is the best way to save money. The strength of using propane comes with running much warmer and at the fraction of the cost of a heating system that runs on electric. And propane furnaces are more efficient than electric ones. Propane cooking is more efficient and quicker versus electric cooktops. And drying clothes is quicker with less static when using a propane dryer over an electric unit - it produces fewer wrinkles, even without a fabric softener, and is easy on fabrics.
- Propane is unsafe. Using propane may be a concern to some, but propane systems are very safe, just like other heating systems. If by chance liquid propane leaks, it vaporizes in the air. Newer technology has led to automatic fuel shut-offs and leak alarms to alert you of any issues. Our expert staff can demonstrate the different safety features associated with your heating system.
- Only one size. Depending on the application, there are different propane tank sizes available. A buried tank (underground) is also available for specific sized tanks.
- Propane heats slower than other fuels. Propane has a warmer heating point than electric systems, allowing it to be a very efficient source of heat for your home or office. A propane furnace can heat the air up to about 140 degrees when an electric heat pump produces heat below 98 degrees.
- Propane is only for grilling. Definite myth! Propane is an excellent fuel source for grilling. But propane is great for many other usages such as whole home and supplemental heat, cooking, water heating, generators, vehicle power, and much more!
- Propane is so expensive. When considering an energy source, it’s best to take a full view approach when deciding. Take into consideration all expenses involved including cost of the product, equipment maintenance and lifespan, and many other factors. You'll find that propane is a cost-effective choice for many use applications.
Your home or business will receive many advantages from propane with its high-efficiency performance, safety record, and cost savings compared to other energy sources. Another excellent benefit that Annapolis Propane & Fuels provides is various delivery options. Give us a call or send us an email today - and our Energy Consultants can help you learn more about all the benefits of using propane.