The bite of winter is just around the corner, and it is never too earlier to start preparing your home from the cold. Your friends at Annapolis Propane & Fuels have many tips to keep your home warm and comfortable while doing an excellent job of managing your winter energy budget.
Using Propane Lowers Energy Costs
The price of propane is generally less than other energy sources. We are proud to provide the fuel for many common household needs such as cooking, water heating, and home heating systems. Propane has a warmer heating point than electric systems, allowing it to be a very efficient source of heat for your home. A propane furnace can heat the air up to about 140 degrees when an electric heat pump produces heat below 98 degrees. This advantage allows propane systems to have shorter heating intervals. We carry the energy-efficient Rinnai® Tankless Water Heater, which only heats water when you need it. A propane dryer also benefits your garments with a quicker dry and less static. The faster dry saves you time and money.
Conserve Your Home Energy
You can enjoy a comfortable home setting in the winter while avoiding expensive power bills. Turning up your thermostat can be the worst thing to do, leading to high power costs. We have several ways you can keep your thermostat low and enjoy a comfortable home this winter:
– Avoid considerable changes in your room temperature by maintaining a consistent thermostat setting. Sudden changes can cause your equipment to work harder and lead to a more expensive bill. A programmable thermostat is a great way to moderate your heat settings.
– Just by lowering your thermostat by 10 to 15 degrees when you go to sleep or leave the house can save you 10% on your heating bill.
– Lowering your propane water heater’s temperature to the warm setting also can lead to savings.
– Exhaust fans use a lot of energy, so it is best to leave them off.
Keep The Heat In
The heat in your home can slowly leak out through tiny cracks in your home, or the cold air can come in through drafty windows. To avoid being cold and suffering the costs, you should:
– Prevent air leaks by covering your drafty windows with heavy-duty, clear plastic sheets.
– Check air vents and power outlets for drafts.
– Heating vents can easily be blocked by your furniture. Make sure your heating vents remain unobstructed.
– Give your propane dealer a call to learn more about preventing leaks.
Maintain Your Heating Systems
Give your heating system regular cleanings to help equipment run at peak efficiency.
– Furnace and heat pump filters should be changed once a month.
– Clean your flue vent for wood- and pellet-burning heaters with a wire brush.
– Conduct regular checks on exterior vents. A bird’s nest, leaves, or snow can clog a vent and keep a system from functioning efficiently.
Reduce Heat Loss From The Fireplace
Enjoying a winter fire in the fireplace is a great way to warm your home. But you want to use these tips around your fireplace to prevent cold air from coming into the house.
– Closing your fire damper when your fireplace is not in use keeps outside air from entering your home.
– Apply caulk around your fireplace hearth to avoid leaks.
Saving Energy While On Vacation
The holiday season is a great time for energy savings by giving your home appliances a break when you go on a trip.
– Avoid any unnecessary water heating while you are gone by reducing the temperature of your water heater.
– You can conserve a lot of energy by giving your refrigerator and freezer a break while you are gone. It is recommended to raise your refrigerator to 38 degrees and raise your freezer to 5 degrees.
– When you are away for a long period of time, turn your thermostat down to a low setting.
The Promise Plan
We can help you eliminate big winter energy bills by spreading the annual fuel cost over a 12-month period. With the Promise Plan, a level monthly payment plan, we estimate your annual propane cost based on prior use, then we divide the amount into 11 flat monthly payments. The 12th month is a “catch-up” month. If you used more energy than estimated, you would pay the difference. But if you used less than the estimate, you will receive a credit on your account. You also will receive a 3% rebate, calculated monthly, for any credit balance on your account during the plan year. Ask our Energy Consultants for information about the Promise Plan.
All these tips can help your heating system with longevity, efficiency, and energy savings. If you have any additional questions, our professional staff at Annapolis Propane & Fuels will be here to help provide more information. Give us a call today!